Saturday, June 26, 2010

Oil Cloth Lunch Bag

(Please excuse the dark photos. And while you're at it, please excuse the VERY amatuer "Bryn" embroidery. Di, any tips?)
This was a really quick project and I think we'll get good use out of it. I made a simple lunch bag for Bryn to use in nursery, picnics, and other outings. I saw the basic pattern for it during our last date to Barnes and Noble. (I think maybe in a Martha Stewart book?) The main panel of oil cloth is 29.5 x 8 inches. And the two side panels are 12.25 by 5 inches. You just sew the side panels to the main panel, with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Cut slits at the corners, or else the corners won't work. And then add velcro so you can close it. If that's confusing, there's a simple pattern for a lunch bag on the Martha Stewart website.

P.S. One tip for sewing with oil cloth: Put tissue paper over the oil cloth as you sew, to prevent the oil cloth from sticking to your presser foot. It tears off really smoothly once the seam is done.

5 comments:

Emily C said...

So cute! The embroidered 'bryn' is the best part

allirasmussen@gmail.com said...

want to show me at the reunion?!? ;) you should come come come ;)

Jessica F. said...

You are amazing!

Diana Hulme said...

WOW. you try new things and they turn out like you're an expert. great job! i think the embroidery looks perfect! :)

JS said...

I might have to make some of these. Nursery must thing I am crazy.. i sent my kids with half eaten sandwiches from sacrament meeting in a ziploc that have tried to scribble their names on with ball point pen. :)
ghetto...